Thursday, July 10, 2008

Welcome to the blog

Welcome to my blog.

I have grown up with video games and I continue to (try to) enjoy them.  I am also visually impaired in that I am totally color blind, am sensitive to light, and my visual acuity is about 20/400.  Being visually impaired and a gamer do not need to be mutually exclusive but it can be challenging.

My first console was the Intellivision (1978), which I still own.  And I have owned consoles up through a Nintendo Wii and an XBox 360.  As gaming, on the computer or a console, remains a strong industry, there are games that are easier to play in terms of access than others and new games are not easier to play than older ones and vice-versa.

In this blog, I will review games from the perspective of someone who is visually impaired and versed in the computer/gaming industry.  The intent is to help other visually impaired gamers and those from industry understand what design issues work for and against VI gamers.